During February we celebrate many holidays, Valentines Day is a favorite in our house and it happens to fall during National Pancake Week. Then if we didn’t get enough there is also a National Pancake Day on March 4th. One of our favorite things to make anytime of the year is pancakes. I love to make a big batch on the weekend and freeze all the extras for all those busy weekday mornings before school.
On Valentines day I surprised my kiddos with Chocolate Yogurt Pancakes. You might think….yogurt in pancakes? Yep! Using a vanilla greek yogurt gives the pancakes extra moisture and a bit of sweetness so there is less of a need to add sugar or a lot of syrup.
Chocolate Greek Yogurt Pancakes
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1/4 cup flaxseed
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons organic brown sugar (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 – 8oz container of Greek Yogurt (I use Stonyfield)
1/3 cup Raw Cacao Powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup mini cacao chips
Optional Ingredients – mashed bananas and diced strawberries
* In a large mixing bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, cacao, flaxseed meal and brown sugar.
* In a smaller bowl mix together eggs, milk, Greek yogurt and vanilla.
* Add all ingredients together and mix well until everything is incorporated, then add cacao chips and fruit if you choose to.
* Heat griddle to 350 or on stove top med-high until hot then move back to medium heat – add a bit of coconut or olive oil to the griddle so they don’t stick.
* Using a ice cream scoop, scoop out 2 scoops of mix for each pancake.
* After you see about 15 bubble holes then flip over, the mixture is going to be thick so make sure you pat down the pancake with the spatula.
Makes about 15 large pancakes.
I then after they cool place them in a freeze baggie and pop them into the freezer.
If chocolate isn’t your thing you can leave that part out. You can also make another favorite of mine – Pumpkin Pancakes which I just made recently with some of my little friends at Lulu’s Casita this past weekend.
**As a #StonyfieldBlogger I teamed up with Stonyfield for this Pancake Challenge to show everyone that Greek yogurt is so versatile. What are some of the ways you use Greek yogurt?