As a whole we eat pretty healthy. Almost 100% organic eating mostly real food but my body isn’t feeling great. I’ve had digestive issues for years, actually I think my whole life. Growing up I was allergic to milk until age 7 and wheat until age 2. I don’t think my body digests dairy or wheat. For instance when I eat a bowl of ice cream I almost instantly get stomach cramps and need to go to the bathroom…I know that doesn’t happen to everyone. When I eat too many carbs I feel bloated then also get cramps….not good! I’ve known for awhile but been in denial…my body needs a reset. I am sick of being sluggish, bloated and just plain yucky.
I have plenty of friends that have done some sort of sugar detox programs so I did my research and thought the Whole30 would be the perfect fit for me. I’ve done cleanses in the past and it’s been fine. One nice thing about this detox is that I can have coffee but no sugar, but there is a ton of no no’s on the list…
The Whole30 Program Rules
(from the website)
Yes: Eat real food.
Eat meat, seafood, eggs, tons of vegetables, some fruit, and plenty of good fats from fruits, oils, nuts and seeds. Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re totally natural and unprocessed.
No: Avoid for 30 days.
More importantly, here’s what NOT to eat during the duration of your Whole30 program. Omitting all of these foods and beverages will help you regain your healthy metabolism, reduce systemic inflammation, and help you discover how these foods are truly impacting your health, fitness and quality of life.
- Do not consume added sugar of any kind, real or artificial. No maple syrup, honey, agave nectar, coconut sugar, Splenda, Equal, Nutrasweet, xylitol, stevia, etc. Read your labels, because companies sneak sugar into products in ways you might not recognize.
- Do not consume alcohol in any form, not even for cooking. (And it should go without saying, but no tobacco products of any sort, either.)
- Do not eat grains. This includes (but is not limited to) wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet, bulgur, sorghum, amaranth, buckwheat, sprouted grains and all of those gluten-free pseudo-grains like quinoa. This also includes all the ways we add wheat, corn and rice into our foods in the form of bran, germ, starch and so on. Again, read your labels.
- Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).
- Do not eat dairy. This includes cow, goat or sheep’s milk products such as cream, cheese (hard or soft), kefir, yogurt (even Greek), and sour cream… with the exception of clarified butter or ghee. (See below for details.)
- Do not consume carrageenan, MSG or sulfites. If these ingredients appear in any form on the label of your processed food or beverage, it’s out for the Whole30.
- Do not try to re-create baked goods, junk foods, or treats* with “approved” ingredients. Continuing to eat your old, unhealthy foods made with Whole30 ingredients is totally missing the point, and will tank your results faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.” Remember, these are the same foods that got you into health-trouble in the first place—and a pancake is still a pancake, regardless of the ingredients.
For me alcohol and dairy will be REALLY hard. I love my wine and cheese people!!! I CAN DO THIS! I’m determined to get my internal health and body back. It’s actually perfect timing since we are heading to Disney 1 month from today for the Disney Social Media Conference. If things go well, I’d like to continue on a more paleo path but incorporate some of the foods back into my diet. I already started with a new Whole30 Menu Plan for this week.
My goal is to feel better, have more energy and get my digestive system back on track. It’s only 30 days….right? Day 1 is over so I only have 29 more to go. Wish me luck and make sure to cheer me on….I need all the support I can get. Got any Whole30 recipes to share? I am looking to beef upp my Sugar Detox Pinterest page….so share away!