School is just around the corner and everyone I know is shopping for school clothes and gear to start the year off right. I remember as a child my mom would give me a limit as to how much money I could spend on clothes for each season. Being a fashion forward girl it was very important for me to look good on the first day of school.
Thankfully I have two boys and if they could wear basketball shorts or pants everyday they would be thrilled…me not so much! With having 2 children of the same sex it makes it easy for me to save money because I can pass out the oldest clothes down to the youngest, so I don’t feel so bad when I spend a bit more for their clothing because I know in time it will get a lot of wears. Having this option also helps with the pocket book. You can also do a clothes swap with friends or check out TredUp. We try to live a sustainable life. When you choose sustainable grown, sewn, and finished children’s clothing made from eco-fabrics it can help you protect your children’s health, workers, and the Earth.
Issues With Conventional Fabrics
* Non-organic cotton is sprayed with dangerous chemicals.
* Clothes made with synthetic fibers like polyester and nylon are made with petrochemicals that have significant environmental impacts.
* Many conventional fabrics are coated with toxins for stain, fire and wrinkle resistance.
* Formaldehyde is found in fire retardant clothing – this can cause hormone disruption.
* Conventional cotton harms the people that make it. Uzbekistan is the 2nd largest cotton exporter in the world. They shut their school down during cotton season and children as young as 7 years old. The Uzbek workers get little pay and poor quality food and water and are often punished when they don’t meet their quotas.
Are you thinking….WOW! Now what should I do about school clothes shopping? Here are some of my favorite picks for sustainable clothing for back to school or anytime of the year.
KITE – Known for creating fun-loving designs on quality apparel. Crafted from certified organic fabrics, these adorable clothes are super comfy, chemical-free and fit for all occasions. Kite is a UK-based company that believes in producing good-for-the-planet garments.
PATAGONIA – Great apparel and gear for the whole family. Cannot say enough great things aboutPatagonia. Traditionally an outdoor company has a lot to offer in the clothes department, especially in outerwear. Patagonia puts sustainability ahead of profit and even goes as far as asking their consumers to “buy less” and have their Patagonia threads repaired instead of thrown out and buy new.
SUSTAINABLE KIDS – Made in the USA this organic clothing company takes sustainable clothing to a new level. Sustainable Kids never skimping on the attention to detail and quality and gives back those in need worldwide.
ECO PLUM – The EcoPlum Boutique specializes in stylish and unique clothing, accessories, jewelry, cosmetics, specialty foods, and gift items that are sustainable, fair trade, organic, vegan, recycled, upcycled and or ethically sourced.
GARDEN KIDS – This American Made company prides itself on continuing to offer organic clothing for kids. From PJ’s made without the use of flame retardants to garments that are suitable for children with skin sensitivities. Garden Kids supports fair wage practices and has received the Green America Seal of Approval for being a socially and environmentally responsible business.