I have to say my garden this summer hasn’t produced much and my tomatoes have seen the biggest hit from this wacky summer weather. I’ve managed to get enough tomatoes to roast some for a Mushroom Leek Lasagna I made last week. This is a easy recipe that you can use for many things, including making homemade pasta sauce. If you choose to make your own sauce then I would leave the tomatoes whole.
What do you do with all your summer tomatoes?
- Garlic (about 4 cloves coarsely chopped)
- Basil (10-15 leaves cut)
- Olive Oil
- Optional - Roasted red pepper flakes
- Slice tomatoes and place on a cookie sheet
- Sprinkle the cut basil and garlic on top of the tomatoes
- Drizzle olive oil over everything
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and red pepper flakes if you choose to
- Roast in the oven on 300 until they are soft and begin to brown on the edges. Do not allow the garlic to get dark!
- When they are finished you can then make your own sauce by blending in a food processor or immersion blender. You can also add these roasted tomatoes to anything that would call for crushed tomatoes.