Spring sports brings total chaos to our life. We have two boys each playing two sports and at times we have 3-4 games in one day which doesn’t leave a lot of time to prepare meals. I’m not complaining….ok maybe just a little but I really don’t think I’d have it any other way. I kind of like chaos to a certain degree. This past weekend we had 2 lacrosse games and a baseball game plus pictures thrown in there. That meant if we wanted a family dinner we would have to prepare it at 10am in the morning since we were going to be out and about the rest of the day.
Thankfully I have two boys that love to help in the kitchen. This morning was especially stressful since we are remodeling part of our house and we all know what goes along with that….craziness! The boys were troopers! I asked them to help me prepare the slow cooker Philly Cheesesteaks and they were more than up for the challenge. One cut the peppers as the other cut the onion and I cut the mushrooms. My oldest spread and seasoned the beef on top. When we got home the house smelled amazing and all we had to do put everything on rolls.
After letting it cook for hours in the slow cooker we put a little bit of the mixture on toasted bread and topped with sharp provolone cheese. We placed it in the oven for just a few minutes so the cheese could melt. Side Note: When taking the cheesesteak mixture out of the slow cooker use a slotted spoon so the meat mixture isn’t too wet, you don’t want your bread to be soggy.
Such a simple dinner that can be prepared in about 5 minutes, with help from my Mini Chefs! I love to make a double batch and freeze the extras so we can easily heat up for another meal. How do you handle days when you want a homemade dinner but don’t have the time to spend in the kitchen?
- 1.5 - 2 lbs thinly sliced beef
- 1 large onion sliced
- 2 sweet peppers sliced
- 1lb mushrooms diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup beef broth
- provolone cheese
- favorite type of roll
- slice onions, peppers and mushroom and place in slow cooker
- spread beef over vegetables
- season with Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper
- pour broth on top (if you are going to be home, add ¼ cup at a time and add more over time when needed to avoid the mixture getting too wet.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or until everything is cooked through then place on warm until you want to eat
- toast rolls in the oven
- put philly cheesesteak mixture on bread ciabatta and top with a few slices of cheese
- place in oven to melt cheese (about 1 minute on broil)
- Serve with fries and salad
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 10 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Frozen Yogurt Fruit Bark Recipe // Courtney’s Sweets
- Ham & Egg Cups // Momma Lew
- Yogurt Dipped Frozen Banana on a Stick // Baby Loving Mama
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Pretzel Bites // We’re Parents
- Peanut Butter Stuffed Chocolate Covered Pretzels // Frugal Novice
- Tips for Planting a Kids Vegetable Garden // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Pastelillos de Carne (Puerto Rican Meat Turnovers) // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- 18 Mother-Child Bonding Activities plus FREE Printable // Step Stool Chef
- Broccoli Mac and Cheese Bites // Vegging at the Shore
- Slow Cooker Philly Cheesesteaks // O’Boy! Organic
- Chocolate Milk Mini Fudge Pops // Can’t Google Everything