I am always trying to come up with new Meatless Monday meals for my family that they will EAT. That is the big thing in our household, getting them to eat healthy dinners nightly. I would love a lot lentils, beans and even tofu for my Meatless Monday meals but I know that isn’t something I could get my family on board with.
Now that spring is here we can see lots of fresh asparagus at the grocery store so I paired it with mushrooms and lemon to make this Roasted Asparagus Mushroom Pasta in Lemon-Cream Sauce. I hope your family likes it as much as mine did. Both boys had clean plates which always makes for a happy mom!
- 1 lb Penne Pasta - we used gluten free
- 1 bunch thin asparagus
- 1 lb portobello mushrooms diced
- 4 cloves fresh garlic minced
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- ½ cup pasta water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- salt/pepper to taste
- In a oven proof pan place mushrooms and cut asparagus with half of the minced garlic, salt, pepper, ½ teaspoon crushed pepper and lemon zest then toss with 1½ tablespoons of the grape seed oil. Place in a 400 degree oven and roast for about 20 minutes, tossing after 10 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat water adding a bit of oil and salt. Cook Pasta until done. I find that it takes gluten free pasta a bit longer to cook through then regular. Once the pasta is done take out ½ cup of water and set aside then drain but DO NOT rinse.
- In that same large pot, add the other half of the crushed red pepper, garlic, oil, lemon juice and butter. Cook stirring the whole time until butter is melted. Add the whipping cream and more salt/pepper. Add water and mix and bring to a simmer.
- Add roasted asparagus and mushroom mixture then pasta. Toss with Parmesan cheese. Serve with fresh basil and more sprinkled cheese on top. If I had some pine nuts I would of added those too.