There is no reason in the world to purchase already made enchilada sauce when making it is SO EASY! Seriously it takes about 20 minutes total and it has 5 ingredients. When you look at the ingredients on a can of ready made enchilada sauce the list is a mile long. What the heck!!
This version was adopted from the Gimmie Some Oven recipe. I’ve changed it a bit and use it not only for enchiladas but as a sauce for mexican lasagna or shredded nachos. Most ingredients you will have on hand and it can be gluten free by using a Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour as I did.
- 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6oz tomato paste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. cumin
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- In a small bowl add flour and spices - mix together
- Add flour/spice mixture and stir together over the heat for one minute.
- Gradually add stock, stirring constantly to remove lumps.
- Add tomato paste
- Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.
- Take off the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes
- Makes about 2 cups