We seem to have a surplus of soups and stews in our freezer that is taking up a bunch of room. This week I am concentrating on making meals around what we have in the freezer. Why purchase food when you have ready made meals just waiting to be heated up.
Menu Planning Advice
1. Make meals from what you already have in your freezer, fridge and pantry
2. Plan out your weekly meals – take into account nights that you have late meetings, sports or family events. By planning meals out you are making a list of those items you need and it also keeps you organized throughout the week.
3. Make a list and stick to it – As much as I love my husband he never comes home with just items from the list which makes us spend more money.
4. I rarely have a week where it works out perfectly. If I can’t make one of the meals I make sure that I make it the following week. Since we are using fresh ingredients we don’t want them to go bad.
5. I try to make at least 1 or 2 meals a week that lend themselves to a 2nd meal that I can freeze for another week. Soups, Stews and Casseroles are perfect for the freezer
6. Got a busy day? Try out a crock pot meal so everything is done and waiting for you in the evening. No one wants to spend time in the kitchen when you are overwhelmed by other commitments.
7. This is by far my favorite night – LEFTOVERS! You don’t have to buy a thing so that saves you big money and it gives you one night of being worry free. Everyone gets to make their own choices that night with food that is leftover in the fridge.
Do you have any helpful menu planning tips that you would like to share? I’d love to hear them!
REAL FOOD Menu Plan
Monday: It’s Meatless Monday and I am going to give Baked Orzo Ratatouille a try.
Tuesday: Baked Tilapia (from the freezer) over sauteed spinach and tomatoes – recipe coming soon.
Wednesday: We are having “Breakfast for Dinner” The kids are really into eggs lately. I plan on making open faced egg sandwiches (scrambled for the boys & over easy for my husband and I)
Thursday: LEFTOVER NIGHT!
Friday: I like to keep Friday’s easy with either making homemade pizza or soup and sandwiches. So I am making Grilled Cheese with Tomato Soup (which is in the freezer)
Saturday: Date Night with hubby and the kids are hanging with their aunt.
Sunday: Chicken Empanadas – I can make a huge batch and freeze some for another meal.