These Pumpkin Cookies are great for play dates, afternoon snack or as a dessert with some natural vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. The Pumpkin cookies can be easily frozen and taken out individually when you want a treat. The consistency isn’t like a normal cookie, it’s in between a cookie and muffin, just in case you are doing something wrong during the mixing stage.
Makes 24 Cookies
* 3 cups Whole Wheat flour
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoon ground ginger
* 1 cup firmly packed organic dark-brown sugar or coconut sugar
* 1 cup Applesauce (instead of 1 cup of oil)
* 3 cups pumpkin puree
* 2 large eggs
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* 1 cup of Carbo Chips
* 1/3 cup of flaxseed meal
1. Make the cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flaxseed meal and ginger; set aside. In another large bowl, whisk together brown sugar and applesauce until well combined. Add pumpkin puree and whisk until combined. Add eggs and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Sprinkle flour mixture over pumpkin mixture and whisk until fully incorporated. Then add the Carbo Chips (you can also add walnuts or pecans too)
3. Using a small ice cream scoop with a release mechanism, drop heaping tablespoons of dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart. Transfer to oven and bake until cookies are just starting to crack on top and a toothpick inserted into the center of each cookie comes out clean, about 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely on pan.
***These cookies are able to be frozen so when your little one is looking for a “treat” you can get one of these healthier pumpkin cookies out! Your child is happy and so are you!