Do have any idea how expensive organic granola bars are, and do know how fast 11 & 9 year boys can eat all those expensive organic granola bars? Well, let me tell ya…FAST! My boys seriously are eating me out of house and home. After school is the worst. They come home and almost immediately start digging into the fridge and pantry for something to eat. 9 out of 10 times they choose a granola bar. One way I try curb our grocery spending is by making as many foods that I would normally buy pre-packaged at the grocery store. There are many foods that you can easily make at home, and a few of my favorites are granola and granola bars.
I’m not gonna lie, I still buy granola bars and other organic snacks because it is convenient especially when I want to stuff something into their sports bags on their way to practice or a game. Homemade granola bars are something we all can enjoy at home or when we travel. These peanut butter and chocolate chewy granola bars are perfect for hikes and camping.
- 4 cups pre-made granola
- 1 cup rice cereal
- 1 cup Trader Joes toasted shredded coconut
- ¾ cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup organic peanut butter
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large saucepan melt peanut butter, honey and coconut oil
- Take off the heat then add vanilla
- Add all dry ingredients - granola, rice cereal, coconut, and chocolate chips and mix together
- Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper
- Put granola mixture into the 9x13 pan and flatten out.
- Place into the fridge to harden at least 3-4 hours or overnight
- Cut into bars and keep in a airtight container
Once you make the granola bars you can place them in the freezer and take out the ones you want. We also store our homemade granola in the freezer too, makes it last longer. My son had a blast making these granola bars, but I think his favorite part was licking the spatula. Looking for other healthy snack ideas? Head over to my Pinterest page for more inspiration.
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started, plus how to link up!
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Semi-Homemade Strawberry Yogurt Recipe // Courtney’s Sweets
- Mini Strawberry Shortcakes // Momma Lew
- Fresh Strawberry Banana Muffins // Finding Zest
- BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches // We’re Parents
- Where Does Beef Come From? Kids Farm Visit // Eating Richly Even When You’re Broke
- Grilled Fluffernutter Sandwich // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Four Ingredient Stuffed Mushrooms // Vegging at the Shore
- 5 Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chewy Granola Bars // O’Boy! Organic
- 25+ Cute Foods for Kids! // My Mini Adventurer