I try and make at least one meatless dinner each week. I’ve written about the Meatless Monday several times and how it benefits our health and environment. One of the easiest ways to prepare a meatless dinner is to use pasta. It takes no time at all to cook which is a bonus for those busy nights when you are rushing around. I love this pasta with roasted broccoli and garlic sauce. It takes very few ingredients and you can make it within 30 minutes.
Pasta with Roasted Broccoli Garlic Sauce
1 lb of your favorite pasta
2-3 cloves of garlic finely minced
1 head of broccoli cut into bite size pieces
3 TB butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup half and half
1 cup of pasta water
4 TB Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
* Place cut up broccoli on a large cookie sheet. Add olive oil and salt and pepper and roast at 400 until done. It takes about 20-30 minutes. About half way through shake pan to move the broccoli around so they don’t stick. Once finished take out and set aside.
* 10 minutes before broccoli is finished get out a large pot, boil water and add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water. Add the pasta and cook on med-high heat until done. Before draining the water take 1 cup out and set aside. Drain pasta and set aside, add a bit of olive oil to keep the pasta from sticking.
* In a food processor add 1.2 cup of water, 1/2 cup half and half, 1 cup of roasted broccoli and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Blend well.
* In the large pot add butter, 1 TB olive oil, garlic and salt and pepper. Heat on low to medium heat until butter is melted and garlic begins to soften but DO NOT brown garlic.
* Add the pasta to the pot of butter and garlic and then add the broccoli sauce plus 1/2 cup of reserved water. Mix well and add the rest of the Parmesan cheese.
Serve with a salad and bread if desired.