Monday started my Whole30 journey. The first 2 days were rough because of major headaches because of no sugar, it’s getting better as the days go by…THANK GOD! Grains and cheese have been the hardest part for me but, I am getting pretty creative in the kitchen. One thing I did on Monday was make a huge Frittata which I saved and then just warm up for a breakfast or lunch throughout the rest of the week. Gearing up for the Whole30 I stocked up on a ton of veggies to help me get through the week.
I love Frittata’s but most contain milk (to make it fluffy) and lots of cheese so I beefed up the veggies and even added a few slices of bacon for added protein and flavor. Who doesn’t love bacon? You can pretty much use any sort of vegetables you have in your fridge, I do suggest using onion because once caramelized it gives the Frittata lots of sweetness and flavor. If you are not a fan of bacon you can use sausage, ham or even grilled chicken or turkey that you might have leftover from a previous meal. Be creative and make it your own!
- 9 -12 farm fresh eggs
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 leek thinly sliced
- 1 sweet pepper diced
- 1 cup of diced mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh spinach (chopped)
- 4 slices of turkey bacon or meat of your choice
- 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt/pepper to taste
- 2 TB almond oil
- 1 TB coconut oil
- In a large OVEN PROOF saute pan add bacon and cook through then set aside to cool then dice in small pieces
- In the same saute pan melt coconut oil and add almond oil
- Add all veggies except spinach and saute until caramelized - adding salt/pepper and 3-4 sprigs of thyme
- Add chopped spinach and let it cook through
- As the veggies continue to cook over medium heat in a bowl break eggs and blend, add more salt/pepper to taste in the eggs
- Once the veggies are cooked through add the eggs and cook on the stove top for 2-3 minutes then place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are cooked.
- Cool slightly then cut in wedges and serve
Have you done the Whole30 or any sort of sugar detox before? Got any good recipes to share or tips and tricks? I’d love any advice you can give, I’ve got 27 days to go people!