One of the easiest meals I can make for my family during those busy nights when we are loaded down with sports is Sloppy Joes. Growing up we would have this down home meal monthly but it would be made with ground beef and the canned Sloppy Joe mix. Today I’ve updated this timeless family favorite by making a healthy homemade Sloppy Joe recipe that can be made with ground turkey, chicken or grass-fed beef. We also love to use Ezekiel sprouted buns which have 9g of protein and 6g of fiber in each bun.
- 2 lbs ground organic turkey or chicken
- 1 medium sweet onion - diced
- 1-2 sweet peppers - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup organic ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- In a pan heat olive oil and start cooking ground meat. When the meat is almost done add the garlic, onion, peppers and cook until done.
- In a separate bowl mix together the rest of ingredients so everything is incorporated and then add to the cooked meat mixture.
- Cooking for another 20-30 minutes until cooked through on low-medium heat on the stove or let simmer in a crock pot until you are ready to eat.
I used my Ninja Cooking System because I can cook everything earlier in the day then put the slow cooker option on and let it simmer on warm until we are ready to eat. This recipe also makes enough for extras (family of w/ young children) so you can freeze the leftovers for another meal. What are some of your favorite redo recipes?