My boys love pancakes and waffles, but I never have time in the morning during the week to make fresh batches. So I make big batches on the weekend or on a weeknight, who doesn’t like breakfast for dinner?
Since I like to make big batches, I wanted to make both at the same time to save time. I’ve always found recipes for just waffles or pancakes but not a homemade mix for both. I was searching around the web and noticed a few that I liked then adapted the recipe to fit my own needs. Now I can easily make batches of pancakes and waffles within minutes with this homemade pancake and waffle mix recipe. When cooking you can add your favorite fruit such as blueberries, strawberries or bananas. For extra nutritional value add flax seed and chia seeds.
- 10 cups flour - 6 cups wheat/4 cups white
- ⅓ cup baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- Place in a container and seal it tight.
- When you are ready to make pancakes or waffles do the following --->
- You will need - Milk, Vanilla, Eggs, coconut butter + Pancake/Waffle Mix
- In a saucepan melt ½ cup coconut butter - set aside
- In a large bowl add 2 cups of pancake/waffle mix
- In a smaller bowl combine 2 eggs, 1½ cups milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and slowly pour in the coconut oil while whisking together
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture, combine well
- Cook pancakes on a griddle or waffles on in a waffle maker
After making big batches I like to freeze the extras for those busy mornings. The boys can easily take them out and heat in the oven in the morning and we serve with some sort of fresh fruit…that is a must for me. Just place the cooled pancakes and waffles in freezer baggies (place parchment paper in-between each layer to avoid sticking.
That’s it! Pretty easy huh? By taking a few extra minutes on the weekend or even make a breakfast for dinner night will help you stay on top of things and make your life a whole lot easier in the morning when you are rushing out the door. Got any favorite quick and healthy breakfast ideas? Share them, I love getting new ideas.