Baby food making is much easier than you would think. There are so many first foods that are suitable for your beginner eater. Last week I mentioned Pear Puree, which is super easy to make because you don’t even need to cook the fruit if your baby is 6 months and older. Next up is Sweet Potato & Apple Puree. Mixing vegetable and fruit together saves you time and space in your freezer. You can serve this mixture alone or add organic grain for more of a complete meal.
Homemade Baby Food – Sweet Potato & Apple Puree
2 – Organic Sweet Potatoes
4 – Organic Apples
1 tablespoon of fresh Lemon juice (optional)
1. Heat oven to 400 – with a knife or fork poke holes in sweet potatoes and cook until tender, just as you would regular potatoes. Depending on the size it may take 1 hr.
2. Once Sweet Potatoes are cooked through, take out of the oven and let cool enough so you can handle them. Meanwhile start with the apples.
3. Peel and chop the apples. Place apples in pot with metal steamer and about 2 inches of water. Steam apples until tender – about 8 minutes. As apples are cooking you can then peel the sweet potatoes and place the meat of the sweet potato in a large glass bowl.
4. Once apples are tender place the apples and cooking water in the same bowl as the sweet potatoes
5. With an immersion blender start blending food mixture until its the consistency you are looking for. If you need it smoother add a bit more water and continue to blend. Remember beginner eaters need food smooth and thin.
6. Once the mixture has cooled continue with the baby food freezing method.