Once the cool weather arrives I am all about backyard fires, comfort food and sipping on apple cider. At least a few times during the fall we make big batches of apple cider, big crock pot full of chili and invite a few friends over for a bonfire. Normally I’d buy already made apple cider but this year I had so many apples left over from apple picking that I thought I’d give homemade apple cider making a try. It was super easy, lighter than store bought and really, really good!
It took no time at all to prepare the apples for the cider. No need to peel the apples (thank god) then all you need to do is add some cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, oranges and water. Let it simmer throughout the day in the slow cooker and just wait for your house to smell amazing. I’d like to make a batch of homemade apple cider weekly just so my house just to smell it!
Want the recipe? Here ya go….you will not be disappointed.
- 12 medium size apples - crisp ones are best cored and sliced (no need to peel)
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- zest of 1 orange and then cut into quarters
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- water (fill until most of the apples are covered)
- Place cored and sliced apples into slow cooker
- add cinnamon sticks, brown sugar, orange zest, oranges, allspice and water into the slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Once apples are mush strain mixture with a mesh colander and cheese cloth into another bowl
- Discard all the apple bits
- Place apple cider back into slow cooker and place on warm until you serve
- Spike it with your favorite spiced rum if you prefer. I am always - YES PLEASE!
What are some of your favorite ways to use your fall apples?
I am hosting Mini Chef Mondays along with 8 fabulous bloggers! Read how Mini Chef Mondays started.
Join our facebook group to find even more recipes and share recipes too!
Join the Mini Chef Mondays newsletter to get the latest recipes delivered to your email each week! Don’t worry, we will only use your email for Mini Chef Mondays recipes, pinky promise!
Be sure to check out each of their Mini Chef posts as well!
- Chocolate Covered Apple Donuts // Courtney’s Sweets
- Fall Harvest Cake
// Momma Lew
- Pumpkin Spice Sauteed Apples // Finding Zest
- Caramel Apple Cheesecake Dip // We’re Parents
- Homemade Applesauce Recipe for Kids // Eating Richly
- Maple Cinnamon French Toast in a Mug // Giggles, Gobbles and Gulps
- Foil Packet Apricot Salmon // Vegging at the Shore
- Homemade Apple Cider // O’Boy! Organic
- Butterbeer Bark // My Mini Adventurer