We love Mexican food, anything with tortilla chips and cheese – we are in! Growing up we would have Taco Salad with Doritos, greasy ground burger and Catalina Dressing. Now, I am not going to say it wasn’t good because it was very good – BUT… we try very hard to keep it healthy and as REAL as possible in our house, and I wanted to make a healthier version of Taco Salad that we can still love but feel much better about eating. I have to say I LOVE this version SO MUCH BETTER than the traditional Taco Salad…I hope you do too!
Healthy Taco Salad
1. Mixture of mixed greens, kale and romaine lettuce
2. Diced sweet peppers
3. 1 can of organic black beans
4. i bunch of green onions – diced
5. 2 cups of cut fresh tomatoes
6. Grated cheddar
7. 1 onion diced
8. 1 lb of organic ground chicken, turkey or chicken strips – I used ground chicken
9. 1 Tablespoon chili powder
10. 1 Tablespoon Cumin
11. 3 cloves of garlic minced
12. Late July Multigrain tortilla chips – smashed (great for the kids to do)
13. Avocados – cubed (one per person)
13. Greek Yogurt Dressing (recipe below)
1. In a large bowl add lettuces, tomatoes, green onion, sweet peppers, black beans then set aside.
2. Brown ground chicken or turkey with the diced yellow onion and garlic. Tip – add garlic at the very end so it doesn’t cook too much. If the garlic browns it will become bitter.
3. Add spices to the meat then set aside
4. Grate the cheese of your choice, if you do pre-packaged read the ingredients to make sure the cheese doesn’t have any unnatural ingredients. We use Trader Joes
5. Add your choice of Late July Multigrain Tortilla chips. I chose Lime, the boys chose Ranch and my husband chose Hot Mojo
6. Top chips with salad mixture, cubed avocado, meat, cheese and then add salad dressing
7. Mix all together and then squeeze a slice of lime on top if you choose to.
Greek Yogurt Dressing
1. 1 cup of Greek Yogurt – I used Sonyfield plain greek
2. Juice of 1 Lime
3. 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
4. A few dashes of chili powder and cumin – use your own judgement
5. 1 avocado
Optional – few tablespoons of milk and hot sauce
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. If you feel it’s too think add more milk until it’s as think as you would like. Also add as much or little of the seasonings as you would like, I went on the weak side because of my kids and just added extra hot sauce to mine.