My kids love treats, and is constantly wanting to know “what’s for dessert?” I don’t want to deny my kids of treats but I don’t want to give them processed toxic filled foods either. So, I look for the best possible options on the market or make something myself. A favorite treat of kids is the traditional Rice Krispie Treat, which is (if I can be frank) filled with a bunch of shit I don’t want my kids eating. Seriously….the crap that’s in store bought rice krispie treats is disgusting and the ones you make aren’t much better, go see for yourself – HERE. So as I surfed through Pinterest looking for anything appealing I noticed a “healthier” rice krispy recipe. I then, of course went to the website and wrote down all the ingredients I needed.
My recipe is very much like Detoxinista’s but I added a few things and increased amounts to make it work for me.
- 5 cups sprouted brown rice cereal
- ½ cup coconut oil + 1 tablespoon
- ½ brown rice syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup enjoylife chocolate chips
- In a large pot add ½ cup coconut oil, brown rice syrup and butter.
- bring to a boil then take off the heat
- add vanilla and salt - mix well
- add sprouted brown rice cereal
- In a lined 9x13 pan (using parchment paper) place rice crispy mixture into pan and press down firmly
- You will need to press down VERY hard and may want to place another piece of parchment paper on top and then press down
- place in the fridge for a few hours or freezer for 30 minutes
- CHOCOLATE TOPPING
- in a small pan melt ½ cup chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- with a knife take the melted chocolate and drizzle on top of the rice crispy treats
- put back in the fridge until chocolate is hard
- take out of the pan and cut into squares
- You can easily wrap these individually and place in the freezer for a quickly treat
The products I used for my healthier Rice Crispy Treats were found at my regular grocery store or you can find them online too.
What are some of your favorite “REAL FOOD” treats? If you are looking for more dessert inspiration head over to my Pinterest page.