Eggplant is one of the those vegetables parents tend to forget about when feeding their baby or toddler. Maybe because they think you need to acquire a test for it or they may not like it themselves. Whatever the reason is, parents need to think again. Eggplant is one of the easiest and most nutritious vegetables you can give a baby (8 months and older). Eggplant is high in antioxidants and also contains fiber, minerals, folates and vitamin B which makes it a healthy addition to any baby’s diet.
We may think of eggplant as a bitter vegetable but modern varieties are much milder and once cooked the eggplant becomes very creamy with rich flavors that works well with other vegetables such as sweet potatoes – one of babies first foods. Here is a fun recipe that you can make for your little one that can easily be frozen into cubes for future meals.
- 1 purple or white eggplant
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- water - add as much as you need to make the right consistency for your baby
- Clean and prick the sweet potatoes with a fork and bake in the oven at 400 until cooked through. 30 minutes to 1 hour depending on size
- Peel and Cube Eggplant
- Heat pan with coconut oil until hot then add cubed eggplant. Cook until the eggplant becomes mushy and begins to break apart
- Once the eggplant and sweet potato are finished cooking add both to a large bowl with cinnamon
- Using a immersion blender begin blending the vegetables together adding water a little bit at a time. Continue to blend/adding water until you get the right consistency for your baby. Remember every baby is different so you need to adjust the recipe to meet your needs.
- Serve to baby when warm and once cooled you can put in ice cube trays and freeze into 1 ounce portions. Once frozen put in a baggie or freezer container so you can easily take out when you want to give your baby this complete nutritious meal.
For more baby food recipes and tips head over to my BABY TIPS AND MEALS on the website or my LITTLE ONES TIPS AND RECIPES on Pinterest