This is the first Saturday in weeks that we had no plans. No sports, or commitments and bonus it was raining in the morning so we could be extra lazy. The boys have been working so hard that I wanted to make something special for them. As soon as I mentioned making waffles my youngest asked if he could help.
I’ve said this a zillion times, I love making big batches of pancakes, waffles or french toast on the weekends or even breakfast for dinner during the week. I freeze the extras for those busy mornings when you don’t have time to make it fresh. My boys are old enough now to go into the freezer themselves, grab what they want and re-heat in the oven. It’s a perfect solution for us in the mornings since I go to work early before the kids head out and I know they are eating something healthy.
Now even though these are double chocolate waffles with berry sauce, they are still pretty healthy. For the ones that we ate right away we added chocolate chips and a little homemade whip cream. Ok, I lied. It’s not really chocolate (don’t tell my kids) but Carob, have you ever heard of it? Carob is naturally sweet, low in fat and packed with fiber. It grows in a pod of a tree in the Mediterranean Sea. The pod contains sweet edible pulp and once dried and roasted it can ground into a powder which is similar to cocoa powder. If you’ve never tried it, you soon…trust me. You can even buy carob chips too!
This was my son’s favorite part, adding the carob chips. He also loved taking a few for himself
The berry sauce was super simple. I had some berries in the fridge that were about to go bad so I put them in a pot with a little honey and let them simmer away until they were soft. Then let them cool and blended with a immersion blender. Put the sauce through a strainer (my boys don’t like seeds) it’s very hard to get rid of the seeds even when blending well. To make healthier I added 2 tablespoons of the Barleans Blackberry Fish Oil which taste amazing on it’s on…trust me.
Double Chocolate Waffles with Berry Sauce
2 cups pre-made pancake/waffle mixture
1/3 cup carob powder
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Barleans Chia, Flax and Coconut Mixture
1- 8oz container of greek yogurt
1 cup whole organic milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Chocolate Chips or Carob Chips
1. In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
2. In a smaller bowl add eggs, milk, yogurt and vanilla then blend well
3. Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well until everything in incorporated.
4. Heat waffle maker as directed. Each maker is different and ours takes 2 ice cream scoops of mixture, just use your own judgement. After you put the mixture on the waffle iron you can then sprinkle some chocolate chips on top if desired. Then close it tight and let it do it’s thing.
5. Continue to make as many waffles as you want, then serve with your favorite sauce. Freeze the extras in a zip lock bag. This batch makes about 8 -10 waffles.