There are so many health benefits of Celeriac, here are just a few….
Lots of Antioxidants
Promotes Bone Health
Helps Prevent Dehydration
Promotes Heart Health
Lots of Protein
Helps Builds Immune System
I found a great website for Cancer patients with tons of great recipes. Once I saw the recipe for the Celeriac and Potato Soup recipe I knew that it would be easy for them to cook for themselves after I left and it would be something different and healthier.
I changed a few things from the original recipe, here is my version. I have to say my mom ate it and LOVED it. My boys also gave it 2 thumbs up, so it’s been on our menu plan ever since.
- 1 pound celeriac AKA celery root
- 1 TB of unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet onion diced
- 3 cloves of fresh garlic minced
- 1½ pounds of Idaho potatoes about 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 6 cups of low sodium chicken stock
- 1 TB fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- 2 TB of plain Stonyfield greek yogurt plus a teaspoon for each bowl
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 TB of Olive Oil
- In a large pot add the olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, onion and let cook until almost done.
- Add the garlic and let cook for a minute longer.
- Then add the Celeriac and Potato plus broth.
- Let cook until the potato and celeriac are fork tender.
- With a immersion blender, mix until smooth.
- Add 2 TB of greek yogurt and mix together.
- Add more salt and pepper if you need to.
- Depending on how you peel the celeriac you might have some of the woody texture strains in the soup. If that is the case, just strain it in a bowl and it will be fine.
- Just before serving, add 1 teaspoon of greek yogurt to each bowl and top with fresh parsley.
Now, I couldn’t of gotten through that hard celeriac without a good sharp knife. The Kitchen IQ Angle Adjust Knife Sharpener, was a lifesaver for sure. There are so many types of sharpeners out there and the one we were currently using didn’t sharpen enough. What I love about the Kitchen IQ manual sharpener is that it’s compact and easy to store in my kitchen without taking up a ton of space. This sharpener also allows you to sharpen the knife to the original factory angle. It includes 3 slots for sharpening….
Fine Slot for everyday sharpening,
Coarse Sharpening Slot for sharpening dull or damaged knives
Serrated Slot for most styles of serrated knives which is great for breads
So weather you are chopping celeriac, slicing ham or bread for dinner you can be sure that your knives are sharp when using the Kitchen IQ Adjust Angle Knife Sharpener. Now you can win your very own plus 10 coupons for FREE products from Stonyfield Farm. Just enter below!