In my endless journey of making our lives more about eating whole foods, I’ve decided to start making my own bread. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for awhile now but to be honest I was a bit intimidated by the whole process. All the women in my family throughout the years made bread. I always wondered why they stopped? I guess it’s because it was more convenient to buy a loaf of bread then make one. If only they would of remembered that when making your own bread you use about 5 or so ingredients and this is what’s in a traditional loaf of wheat bread.
WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, UNBLEACHED ENRICHED WHEAT FLOUR [FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, REDUCED IRON, NIACIN, THIAMINMONONITRATE (VITAMIN B1), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), FOLIC ACID], WATER, SUGAR, YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOYBEAN OIL, MOLASSES, SALT, CULTURED DEXTROSE AND MALTODEXTRIN, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, CALCIUM SULFATE, CITRIC ACID,DATEM, GRAIN VINEGAR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, SOY LECITHIN, WHEY, NONFAT MILK.
Now this type of bread doesn’t have High-fructose corn syrup but so many of breads do, I do not want that going into my body….do you? I’ve made bread from a bread machine, but to me that really isn’t making bread because the machine is doing all the work for you, and you may wonder why I think that’s a bad thing…it’s not really but I want to make more than 1 loaf at a time and there is something said about making it on your own and getting your hands dirty! Recently I was peaking through a few of my favorite magazines and noticed an article about making kneadless bread, kneadless bread you say…tell me more!
1. Empty Fast Action Yeast packet into 2/3 cup of lukewarm water and let dissolve
2. Mix together flours, herbs, olive oil, sugar, Baking powder, Baking soda, salt and HOT water
3. Mix all ingredients together
4. Cover with plastic wrap to let rise, once the bread is ready
5. bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
6. After 30 minutes take out of the oven and take out of the baking pans and place on a cookie sheet and bake for additional 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.