While on vacation I have been reading a lot of magazines and my favorite of course are food based. I was looking in theJuly issue of bon appétit and noticed a stew type of meal that my family would love. I made few changes since we were on vacation and didn’t have a few hours to prepare it. This one pot dish is a complete meal and can be prepared mostly ahead of time, which is great for those busy days.
Beans with Sausage and Kale – bon appétit recipe HERE
1 can of Cannelloni beans
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of white wine
3 cups of cooked quinoa (cook the quinoa in chicken broth)
2 packages of kielbasa (I used turkey) sliced 1 inch think
4 cups of fresh kale
1 medium sweet onion finely diced
4 cloves of garlic finely minced
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
4 cups chicken broth (2 cups for the stew and 2 cups for the quinoa)
1 bay leaf
Juice of one lemon
- In a large sauté pan add the kielbasa and olive oil with salt and pepper, cook until almost fully browned.
- While the kielbasa is cooking in a small saucepan cook the quinoa according to the directions to make 3 cups of cooked quinoa, set aside once done.
- Add onion and sauté for about 5 minutes then add the garlic. Cook garlic for about 30 seconds to 1 minute. (DO NOT overcook the garlic or you will have a bitter taste)
- Add 1 cup of white wine and reduce to about half
- Add the can of diced tomatoes and 2 cups of chicken broth and let simmer to reduce to about half.
- Add the can of beans and finished quinoa to the mixture and let simmer for 10 minutes
- Add the cut Kale and the juice of one lemon to the mixture. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes
- Once finished toss together and serve with a loaf of crusty bread.