Apple Squash Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups shredded peeled apples
3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, plus 3/4 cup, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
1/2 cup butternut squash puree
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
* To prepare cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 (1/2-cup) muffin cups with cupcake liners or coat with cooking spray.
* Combine shredded a in a bowl with 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Set aside. Beat butternut squash & the remaining 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Beat in eggs & vanilla.
* Whisk flours, baking soda, salt and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a medium bowl.
* Alternately add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to the batter, starting and ending with dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in the reserved apple mixture until just combined. Divide the batter among the prepared muffin cups. (The cups will be full.)
* Bake the cupcakes for 20 to 22 minutes
Brown Sugar Frosting
The reason I love this frosting is because you use A LOT less sugar and instead of using a processed powdered sugar with corn starch I use natural brown sugar that does not have refined sugar. Natural brown sugar is produced from the first crystallization of the sugar cane. There is more molasses in natural brown sugar, giving it a higher mineral content. It’s also sooo simple and YUMMY there is no reason for me not to use it.
1 – 8oz of cream cheese (room temperature)
4 TB of natural brown sugar
3 TB of raw honey
1 TB of butter
1/2 cup of sour cream
* In a small sauce pan melt butter, brown sugar and honey until all the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat and let cool enough so it doesn’t melt the cream cheese… continue to stir so it doesn’t harden.
* Once the sugar mixture is cooled enough add it to the cream cheese and sour cream, beat until fluffy.
* Frost the cupcakes, muffins or cake or place in the fridge until you are ready to use it.