Since my boys were old enough to drink milk I gave them whole organic dairy. In fact I’ve never even considered buying anything else for my family. For me it wasn’t about the amount of fat but the amount of nutrients my boys would be getting. Over the years people in public health have been saying cut the fat, go with skim milk and non-fat yogurt but recently we’ve heard otherwise. I know things are always changing but here are some recent facts that might make you think again when you go for conventional non-fat dairy.
10 BENEFITS OF WHOLE ORGANIC DAIRY
1. Organic dairy animals are raised without antibiotics or given hormones and steroids.
2. Organic dairy animals are pastured throughout the grazing season and when they do eat supplemental feed it’s organic
3. Eating full fat organic dairy does not increase your chances of developing heart disease or type 2 diabetes
4. When eating organic full fat dairy you are less likely to be obese
5. Whole milk contains up to 62% higher omega-3 fatty acids than low fat or fat free versions
6. Because of the higher omega 3’s and lower omega 6’s organic dairy supports cardiovascular health and protects your immune system.
7. Whole fat milk contains fewer carbohydrates than low-fat or skim mil because more it it’s volume is made up of fat, which does not contain lactose.
8. Whole milk contains 8 grams of protein
9. Organic milk contains 300 milligrams of calcium which is 1/3 of our daily recommended value
10. Organic dairy in potassium, phosphorous, and vitamins B-12, A and D
Ok, I lied…I have 11 benefits. The last one is that is tastes so much better. There is nothing like sipping on a glass of organic milk, eating organic yogurt or cheese. Don’t even get me started on organic butter, I could eat it plain. Seriously! So you can just imagine how excited I was when my favorite dairy company, Stonyfield started producing a 100% Grassfed yogurt. Their new line of yogurt comes from 100% Pennsylvania Certified Organic Grassfed cows that eat grass all year round…even in the winter!
If greek yogurt is your thing, check out Stonyfield’s new greek yogurt with a side of sweetness, you can add as little or as much as you would like. When you purchase any Stonyfield product you know that it’s made without the use of toxic persistent pesticides or GMO’s. EVER. That means it’s not only good for you but good for the planet too. So the next time you are at the grocery store check it out and taste it yourself, you will love it.